When communication problems occur, one of two error messages will display:
Unable to Communicate with the Caterpillar Communication Adapter
This error refers to a problem between the PC and the Communication Adapter. Suggestions
for correcting the problem are as follows:
• Check all connections between the PC and the ECM.
• Check that the Communication Adapter is receiving external power. The product being serviced must have the key switch in the “On” position to receive power unless it is connected directly to the battery.
• Under the Settings menu, select “Preferences” and verify that the correct port is selected. Also verify that the correct Communication Interface Device is selected.
• If the error displays again, verify the correct cables are being used for the application.
• If a serial port is being utilized, verify that the PC Comm Port is set up correctly and is not in use by another device (for example, a modem).
Try using another Comm port, if available.
Unable to Communicate with an ECM
This error refers to a problem between the communication interface device and the ECM; the
PC successfully detected the communication interface device.
• Verify that all connections between the communication interface device and the ECM are secure and intact.
• Verify that the ECM has power. If the error displays again, verify the correct cables are being used for the application.