After Volvo EGR valve replacement,for purpose of get rid (burn) of the EGR valve O-rings,you need to use Volvo PTT software to do EGR valve DYNO test.
2022 Volvo PTT Premium Tech Tool PTT 2.8.150 & 2.7.116 & 2.6 All Version Free Download
GENERAL TEST GOAL
We need T1 (EngExhTemp) to reach about 430°C (806°F) which should correspond to about 550°C
(1022°F) exhaust manifold temperature.
This 550C is our real target, but we have no temperature sensor there.
We need to have that temperature for a minimum of 18 minutes.
—-T1 = Exhaust temperature at DPF Inlet = approximately exhaust temperature at engine outlet =
EngExhTemp (in Volvo engineering tools). This is not DPF Temp!
—-T1 + 120°C (248°F) = approximately exhaust manifold temperature = approximately exhaust
temperature at EGR valve (just for your information).
CHASSIS DYNO TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS and PREPARATION
—–Select a heavy duty chassis DYNO that can handle HD Trucks wheel HP, high wheel torque (high HP at low RPM), and vehicle drive axle weight.
—–Minimum 300Hp at drive axle wheels. For more information please refer to technical details table at the end of this procedure.
—Check engine oil level.
—Closely monitor coolant level, and note it. We may need this information later on.
—Remove ABS fuse #23 (located in front electrical compartment).
Reason: rear wheels turning + front wheel not turning = Incoherence = ESP engaged.
ABS fuse removal avoids this behavior.
—IMPORTANT: to prevent activation of the AFSS (automatic fire suppression system), unplug
connector L282A at the extinguisher cartridge.
—HVAC running at full capacity if needed (see note 3 below).
TEST PROCEDURE – Without Premium Tech Tool (BLIND TEST)
—With Allison : Transmission should be set in 5th gear (see note 1 below).
—Adjust engine + DYNO parameters for engine to be running at FULL LOAD, at 1200 ~ 1250 RPM.
Make sure conditions are as stable as possible.
—Once a stable condition is reached, have a full load warm up of 2 minutes (see note 2 below).
—Run 18 minutes at full load ~1200 RPM (see note 2 below).
—Total = 20 minutes at FULL LOAD ~1200 RPM (see note 2 below).
Transmission should be set in 5th gear. (At lower gears, high torque could break the DYNO.)
Unfortunately fluctuations may occur, mainly at lower engine RPMs.
At low RPM + high loads, the transmission has the tendency to down shift in 4th.
If you use the DYNO of an Allison Transmission Dealer, the best thing would be to ask them to use the Allison DOC Interface tool, and perform a clutch test to really LOCK the transmission in 5th gear.
This is what has been done during the first DYNO test performed in Quebec city.
Unfortunately fluctuations will occur, because of our large cooling fan being engaged & disengaged, or previous gear down shifts in 4th.
· Engine should remain at full load, in the 1200 ~ 1250 RPM target range.
· Dynamometer parameters should be continuously adjusted to compensate.
You can either adjust DYNO load, or vehicle wheel speed.
For example, with an axle ratio of 3.58, we were constantly adjusting target speed between 55 and 58 MPH. And it did work well.
· 1250-1300 RPM can be reached for short periods. Not ideal, but no limitation.
· 1300-1400 RPM can be reached for short periods of time (<10 sec). No compensation required.
· 1300-1400 RPM for longer periods of time, please extend test time to compensate for ¨2x time lost¨.
· >1400 RPM can be reached, but if it happens, please extend test time to compensate for ¨2x time lost¨.
Check technical details table at the end of this procedure, you will notice that, in the range of 1200-1250 RPM, vehicle wheel HP can reach 340HP.
· In case DYNO HP is around 300HP at the wheel, it will be limit (this was our case!).
· In order to help, we were making the HVAC running at full capacity.
TEST PROCEDURE – With Premium Tech Tool (and monitoring T1)
Exact same activities as previous procedure.
· With Allison : Transmission should be set in 5th gear (see note 1).
· Adjust engine + DYNO parameters for engine to be running at FULL LOAD, at 1200 ~ 1250 RPM.
Make sure conditions are as stable as possible.
· Once a stable condition is reached, have a full load warm up of 2 minutes (see note 2).
· Run 18 minutes at full load ~1200 RPM (see note 2).
· Total = 20 minutes at FULL LOAD ~1200 RPM (see note 2).
But monitoring engine exhaust temperature (T1) will allow you to be more confident on the exhaust temperatures and high temperature condition cumulated time achieved.
No uncertainty like, should I run a little longer?
o Target Engine exhaust temperature : T1 >= 430oC (806°F)
o If you reach or exceed this temperature for a minimum of 18 minutes, you’re all set!
o No need for >1300 RPM monitoring. No time compensation for >1300RPM.
FYI, on H3 we reached a steady 425°C-460oC (797°F-860°F), and on XL we reached a steady 450°C-485oC (842°F-905°F).
POST TEST PROCEDURE
· Reinstall ABS fuse #23.
· Prior plugging the AFSS extinguisher cartridge valve electrical connector L282A, start the engine and make sure that the fire extinguisher hasn’t been triggered during the DYNO test because of a overheat condition. If this is the case, a fire “alarm” lamp and an audio alarm activate. The engine will stop after a delay of 15 seconds. You must have a new linear thermal detector installed before (LTD) connecting the extinguisher cartridge valve. Reset the system
OPERATION & MAINTENANCE MANUAL FOR FIRE PROTECTION SYSTEM AS INSTALLED ON PREVOST H345 & EPA10 VEHICLES)
· Make sure dynamometer chains holding vehicle in place did not make scratches on paint. In case,please make touch-ups.
· Verify plastic connectors and plastic hoses near urea injector to make sure it is not melted.
· Verify there is no coolant spill.
If you see a spill, please get back to us with few comments (quantity lost, coolant level change).
And also tell us if this vehicle has a stainless steel surge tank (grey), or an aluminum tank
TECHNICAL DETAILS TABLE
RAR 3.91-Target range in shaded area (approx. 1200 rpm, maximum torque, minimum rpm range)
RAR 3.58-Target range in shaded area (approx. 1200 rpm, maximum torque, minimum rpm range)
If you need Newest Volvo PTT 2.7.115,please refer here:Volvo PTT 2.7.115 Download & Installation